Bottled Al’s Celebration Ale last night, today I’m brewing the English IPA I discussed in my previous post. To recap, here’s the ingredient list:
- Columbus Bittering Hops, 13.9% Alpha, 5% Beta, 1oz
- US Northern Brewer Flavor and Aroma Hops, 8.6% Alpha, 3.8% Beta, 1oz each
- Nottingham Ale Yeast, 11g (0.388oz) Saccharomyces cerevisiae top fermenting yeast
- Briess Dried Malt Extract, Golden Light, 1lb
- American Crystal Malt, 40L, 1lb
- Briess CBW Non-Diastatic, Unhopped, Pilsen Light, 3Kg (2 3.3lb jars)
Brewing right now. Just about to start the timer for the boil.
Total time to brew: 5 hours.
Recipe projected OG: 1.067
Actual OG 1.052
Not sure why the OG didn’t come out as high as expected. Not particularly worried about it though. The ABV will probably come out lower than the target, but it should still be a very tasty brew if everything else went right.
Major concerns: One. The temperature of the mash got up to about 164 at one point, but I got it off the heat and brought it back down pretty quickly. Hopefully the enzymes in the grain held fast. The offending temperature surge was only for perhaps a minute or two, and mostly at the bottom of the pot, so I’m hopeful this won’t be an issue.
Here is the exact procedure that I wound up using, by the checklist, with changes from the recipe noted. It should also probably be noted that the homebrew store doctored the recipe and ingredients for this kit because they were low on certain supplies, so the expected OG and other parameters might not be spot on anyway.
- fill pot number one with two gallons bottled spring water (actual volume used about 1.75 gallons)
- heat to 155 (got a little too hot, used the last 1/4 gallon to bring to 158 when I added the grains).
- add crushed malt
- hold at 150-155 for 30 minutes (recipe said 150 degrees. Actual time was probably 32-33 minutes. Had to add a little heat here and there to maintain temperature, which led to the slightly higher than desired rise in temp. Note to self: get insulation for this pot)
- strain into stainless steel 5 gallon pot
- add 1/2 gallon spring water (in hindsight, I should have left this step out, because the larger volume took so long to finally start boiling on a chicken-top electric stove)
- bring to boil (again, took forever for this to happen)
- add bittering hops
- boil 45 minutes (I stirred about every three minutes to prevent scorching/sticking)
- add flavor hops
- add dried malt extract, liquid malt extract
- At this point, it was supposed to be “boil 12 minutes” but the addition of the hops plus dry and liquid malt extracts brought the temperature down to well below boiling. Therefore I allowed this step to progress to 25 minutes, when the boil started back up. I don’t know the “ramifications thereof” of doing this, but it’s done.
- Once the boil started, I added the last flavor hops packet and boiled 3 more minutes.
- at flameout I started cooling the wort in ice. 15 trays of ice (saved over several days) didn’t do the trick, so I had my buddy go buy another 20 pound bag of ice, which definitely did the trick quite well. It only took about an hour or so to cool the wort to a reasonable temperature.
- Sanitized fermentation bucket whilst waiting for wort to cool.
- Sanitized other need utensils (spoon, thermometer, SG meter, wine thief, strainer)
- added 2 gallons chilled spring water to sanitized fermentation bucket
- Strained cooled wort into fermentation bucket
- [top to 5.5 gallons] step wasn’t needed as I was already at just slightly more than that. This could help to explain the lower than expected OG, but can’t fully explain it.
- Used sanitized thermometer to check temperature (72F)
- Used sanitized wine thief to sample for OG reading and took about 12 oz of wort to use in future yeast starters, put wort into sanitized bottle and capped, put in fridge.
- Pitched yeast into bucket (was dry yeast, I pitched directly)
- Waited five minutes
- Aerated wort via vigorous stirring using sanitized stainless steel spoon
- Installed sanitized lid and airlock
- Put in closet, ambient temperature 68-70F.
- After one week, dry hopped with 2 oz cascade pellets
Last step… PRAYED. LOL.
Enjoyed a few nice brewskies along the way, a Schlafly winter ESB, a Schlafly Coffee Stout, and a Sam Adams Boston Lager. As a reward for finishing the batch, I am now having a bomber of Stone IPA. Can’t hardly beat that!!
Expected bottling date is 16 days from now, Sunday the 12th of Feb.
All comments, advice, criticisms or egg-throwing welcome.
ETA: FG 1.012